Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pontificate no more... Habemus papem

Not being a Catholic, I have a hard time understanding the thrill of the conclave.

1.2 billion souls would beg to differ, I guess.

Anyway, "Habemus papem"..."We have a pope".

His name is Francis, after St. Francis of Assisi   He has lived a simple life, making his own meals, living in an apartment in Buenos Aires.  According to CNN, he "eschews luxury" and "embraces the poverty and humility" as he championed the poor in his native country.  

It will be interesting to see what direction he takes with the problems the church is facing.  

I wonder if he'll wear those red Ferragamo shoes



Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I actually got this breaking news from you about an hour ago. Have seen some very contradictory statements about this new guy. I don't expect to be a fan, but I like the shoes.

will said...

Yeah, the Vatican PPR machine is working overtime pumping out the fuzzy wuzzies of Pope Fran's life and times.

Not to be forgotten - his parents were Italian and he's a religious conservative... no on abortions, no women priest, no gay marriage, etc.

As far as dogma goes, its the same-o, same-o.

btw, I spent 6 years in Catholic school, including two years in Catholic high school.

Memènto etiam fratrum nostròrum.

Murr Brewster said...

He sounds most decent. I've been hearing from my friends who are perturbed he hasn't come out in favor of abortion and gay marriage, but Jeezy Peezy. He's the POPE. You're not going to get everything your way all the time. Especially not in that position. I hope he wears red Converse high-tops.

Christina

Christina
by Cole Scott